Our pattern of the month is the Duck! Ducks have been featured as cartoon characters. For example, Walt Disney’s Donald Duck and Warner Brothers’ Daffy Duck. Our duck pattern is a caricature of the white domesticated duck which is a descendant of the Mallard Duck. The Mallard is the most common and recognized duck of the species.
Fun Facts About Ducks
- Ducks are mostly aquatic birds living in both fresh and sea water
- Their feathers are highly waterproof
- Ducks are friendly and curious and have been domesticated for over 500 years
- Ducks feet don’t feel the cold
- Ducklings grow up fast – they can fly within 2 months after hatching
- Never feed ducks bread or cookies because that type of food swells up inside their stomachs
Upcoming Duck Craft Activities
In our next blog, we’ll be sharing a few ideas and links for some fun duck craft activities that we found around the web. We’ll also have a free download pattern for the kids to make their own duck paper bag puppet. You can also check out our Puppet of the Month Pinterest Board.
Until then, enjoy our free download of a duck coloring page for the kids to color!
Need a Puppet with a Moving Mouth and Makes Expressions? We’ve got the pattern!
You can buy the Duck Puppet Sewing Pattern here. It is available as a digital download so you can start sewing immediately. Each pattern has step by step instructions and free video tutorial. In fact you can watch our free tutorial on how to sew the duck puppet right now! Beginner sewists have complimented us on how easy they found our instructions to follow. We recommend using fleece and felt to make our puppets because these fabrics are readily available from craft stores, inexpensive, washable and easy to sew.
What our customers are saying:
“Pattern is well written and easy to follow.”
“These are awesome looking puppets. I love them!”